Friday, September 30, 2005

"The Doctor's TARDIS lands" - A Doctor Who Short Story with the Doctor, a Police Box, Bad Wolf, and a Blue Box...


Photograph (c) Phil Janvier

As the gentle calm of evening sets over suburban Gateacre a violent creaking and groaning slips into the night. A blue box fades into being as dust clouds move in hidden winds and silence descends. Out of the Rectory window a child looks out amazed at the 1950's Police Box standing outside the garage with words Bad Wolf showing through a recent covering of paint. The child hides.

The word "Fantastic!" drifts out of the opening blue door. A blond girl sticks her head out into the fresh evening air and then slips back inside leaving the door slightly open, her voice reverberated in way impossible for the size of the box, "Doctor, all I said was I wanted a cup of tea and a bag of fish and chips."

"I know that's why I am so fantastic!"

"What's so fantastic about landing here?"

"Rose, Rose... I have just guided the TARDIS through all space and time to this one moment. I have taken into consideration the expansion rate of the universe, vortext drift, the spin of the earth, I have dodged Daleks, Cybermen and power hungry alien politicians to bring you here, to this one moment in space and time..."

"Ok, ok, I'll ask why here and now, oh and where are we?"

"Liverpool in the year 2005, but importantly for you and me Morrisons is still open to..."

"Buy tea bags, and the bag of chips..."

"Fish and chips..."

"Fish and chips."

"Mr Wongs in Lee Park, he always freshly cooks the fish."

"Doctor, you amaze me..."

"I amaze myself sometimes, but..."

"You only get the best, fresh fish and chips in the North West of England."

"What about Manchester?"

"Never been there!"

Rose stepped out of the Police Box quickly followed by a tall man in a leather jacket. Rose looked at the house and the TARDIS blocking the garage, "Won't they think it strange to see a Police Box just standing here?"

The Doctor smiled, "Humans never see anything strange, if they can't explain it they ignore it."

"Doctor..."

"An old friend lives here and everyone already thinks he's slightly mad, trust me no one will notice."

Rose took the Doctor by the hand, "And is there anywhere to dance around here?"

The Doctor laughed, "Not today."

The couple laughing together strolled off arm in arm up the drive. "I suppose I will have to pay again," the girl said as she swung the man around by his arm.

"I'm a fantastic, wonderful, amazing alien who saves planets from evil..."

The girl's response was lost as they turned the corner and disappeared into the twilight of the evening.

Short story "The Doctor's TARDIS lands" written by Phil Janvier
(c) Phil janvier - 30th September 2005
TARDIS prop built by Phil Janvier

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some might say slightly mad - others know better.

10:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where has phil gone? i miss his regular postings.

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home